Monday, November 27, 2006

Things to do with my time

I am getting a bit fed up with myself and not having a proper job and not knowing what to do. So apart from spending too much time emailing (but not really achieving much) I am doing some other not useful things to pass my time. I really don't know what my problem is at the moment.

Etsy.com
This is seriously cool. It's sort of like eBay but it's for people to buy and sell handmade, crafty type stuff. Perfect for unique presents. And perfect for someone like me who makes a few things. Not that I've actually sold anything yet. I have to say I haven't given it much time or effort yet. My shop is called 'sparkle and shine'. You can see it here. If anyone fancies doing me a snazzy little banner for free, let me know! Teehee.

Baking
I haven't put a recipe up here for ages. I'll find a nice one... My mum's apple cake is scrummy. I made two the other day. I also made sticky ginger parkin last weekend. It wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. I made a pretty good Victoria sponge cake for my granny for her birthday, and also some cupcakes, but I didn't have muffin tins to cook them in so they went a bit wrong. Ooh, and I also made a pretty jazzy chocolate cake with vanilla icing decorated with chocolate iced writing for my friend's birthday present. I forgot to take a photo of that too. Bum.

Watching films
I can't be doing with daytime television, but the odd film is super duper (actually I'd watch them more if I didn't think my mum would shout at me for being lazy). I love films. I loved the new James Bond film by the way (Daniel Craig - nice big hands, mmm). And The Departed - the latest Martin Scorsese (Leonardo DiCaprio - surprisingly good). And other films I've watched recently (or re-watched) are School of Rock, The Station Agent, Transamerica, Legally Blonde, Layer Cake, The Recruit, The Goonies, Bridget Jones' Diary, Pretty Woman, Pride and Prejudice, Sweet Home Alabama, Out of Africa, Madagascar, Jerry Maguire.

Writing bits...
...but never finishing anything. Other than blog entries, emails and the odd letter. I'm writing to a soldier in Iraq. I thought it must get quite lonely out there. I don't necessarily agree with the war, but as we've sent all those people out there I decided to do my little bit to support them. My guy's in Basra. He's an officer. His room used to be one of Saddam Hussain's loos.

Of the writings I have started and not finished... a screenplay (adaptation of a pretty cheesy chic-lit book), a children's storybook (I have an idea for a whole series of countryside based stories, seeing as that's where I live, but can't seem to fully form the ideas), a novel (hahahahaha - I joined the National Novel Writing Month thing last week. You have to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. From 1-30 November. I joined last week. Basically it isn't going to happen!), a business plan (for one or many of several ideas I've had), a TEFL book for tourism in rural places (an idea I had in Mozambique), articles for a new youth website I thought of a few months ago (just need to learn how to build a website as well), a newsletter for the rowing club (need a good name for it), I think that'll do for now (there are sure to be more) but I'm sure you get the picture.

Can someone spur me into action please?

2 Comments:

Blogger Benji said...

When I was freelancing but out of work (self-unemloyed if you like) I hated the static moments that claimed my time. They'd last for days, weeks even and, when I looked back on a Friday, I'd realise that all I'd done was put up a shelf or organise my CDs into rainbow order. Good that your brain's still active though. Watching a film in the daytime can feel wonderfully decadent or hopelessly depressing I found.
Anyhow, idea for the title of your rowing club newsletter - 'Sticking Your Oar In.' No?

28/11/06 12:22 pm  
Blogger Hostess with the Mostest said...

'Sticking Your Oar In'... haha! I like it. Wonder if I can swing it with the committee?!

CDs in rainbow order, now there's a thought.

28/11/06 12:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home