Sunday, August 21, 2005

Crash

Went to the cinema last night to see Crash. It made me cry. Quite a lot actually. I do cry at films and TV programmes quite a lot. Lassie, a regular fixture in my viewing schedule when I was little, always used to make me cry. Crash made me cry because of the tragedy of some peoples' lives. And because of huge injustices and prejudices in the world. It was actually quite depressing. There were some uplifting moments. But the over-riding feeling I had was sadness. Mostly because the stuff being depicted is almost definitely true, to a certain extent. There are people like that in the world. And it gets me so cross because it's such a huge deal, and it seems that really things like racism, bigotry, injustice, misunderstanding, disrespect, violence, crime, narrow-mindedness, discrimination, inequality, extremism... they'll never stop. I'm sure I've been guilty of some of those things myself at some point or another, deliberately or not, but it seems like there's a cycle of feeling and attitude that's hard to shake but also very hard to pin down. Humans are complicated beings.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hostess with the Mostest said...

I know, it's weird isn't it. I go about my day to day life and get caught up in mundane really small things of no consequence that seem important to me at the time and then, yeh, get access to people with Real hardships and I think I should be doing something to help, or something. And then sometimes I think, I'm just lucky and I should just be thankful my life is easy!

25/8/05 4:54 pm  
Blogger Simon John Parkin said...

But it's the small choices we make that change our life. Like whether we choose to cross the road now or a second later could be the choice between life or death. A bit extreme I know!

I saw Crash the other day too. Great film I thought. I liked that there were no good-guys or bad-guys like in most Hollywood films. It shows that people aren't as simple as that.

14/9/05 11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home